2 Timothy 3:1-2
Dr. John Cook / General Adult
Pastoral Epistles Lesson 9 – Part 1
2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
“This know also”
- God wants us to know what is coming.
- Prophecy is proof of the greatness of our God!
“in the last days”
- The time we live in!
“perilous times shall come”
- Sin makes the perils!
- Wickedness is a downhill path.
- The outcome of puffing man up- “Man is the measure of all things”
- 2 Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
- Carefully consider the effect of one sin leading to another!
“For men shall be lovers of their own selves”
- Commanding characteristic of mankind before our Lord’s return.
- Self-love brings perilous times.
- Those that are in love with themselves do not benefit anyone but themselves!
- Note how self-love leads to more wicked behavior.
- “Me Generation”
- “Gains the name of the game!”
- Can’t get enough, build enough!
- Love of money overruling all other love!
- 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
- Painful to pursue!
- Bragging on self and self accomplishments!
- Thinking self is the answer to the world.
- Pride is guaranteed to bring a fall as the novice warned of in
- 1 Timothy 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
- Pride is not of God:
- 1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
- Pride stands in the way of a man getting saved:
- Psalm 10:4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek afterGod: God is not in all his thoughts.
- Men are proud of self, possessions, sins, and their intellect
- Perfect description of men’s mouths today!
- James 2:7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?
- Characteristic of the antichrist:
And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
“disobedient to parents”
- Major characteristic of children today!
- Stubborn, rebellious!
- Demanding children’s rights.
- Children are just little adults in a child’s body:
- Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; But the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
- God does not agree!
- Not grateful to man or God!
- Believe they are owed it all!
- Opposite of what we are to be as children of God:
- Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
- Wicked and filthy:
- Jude 8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
- Remember this all started with “self-love”
- But there is more to come: